Saturday, August 23, 2008

Magnum Photo

Not Magnum P.I., but this is an agency of the photography type. I have been working on their prints at Griffin Editions. Recently I did a 40" x 60" for Larry Towell who is a high-up in the agency's structure.

The word magnum comes from magnus in latin meaning "great". The larger size in wine bottling and the ammuntion caliber is named for that reason as well. They are really great in BW photojournalism. The Agency began after WWII by 4 photographers committed to using the medium to elevate conciousness. Robert Capa, Henri Cartier-Bresson, George Rodger and David "Chim" Seymour.

Another photographer I have had the pleasure of working with recently was Chien Chi Chang. His series of Chinatown, NYC will be displayed at a large show in Singapore this fall. I produced 15 images in the 30 x 40 size for his show. I felt as though I learned how to make his prints sing after the experience. Making a print sing is something achieved after many hours of testing and burning and dodging a print to visual harmony. In years past I've also made 50x70 inch prints from his Chain series. They are haunting.

One other great that is represented by Magnum and I have done printing for is war photographer is James Nachtwey. His stuff is sick and his pictures can disturb, but they are amazing accounts of what is real.

I would like to be a Magnum photographer, but it's questionable whether I have the guts.

No comments: